Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Fire Update - Subhed Red Tape

What a difference a day makes. I got a call from the insurance company.
They're cutting the checks.

And sending the checks to the adjustment company.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Fire Update - Subhed Red Tape

There's nothing to tell -- it's still not resolved!

The public adjustment company quit. Or fired me. I don't think there's any correct nomenclature. I just got a notice one day in May that said they were no longer handling my claim, thanks, goodbye, you owe us money.

A lot of the problem stemmed from language difficulties. Not that I spoke English and the adjuster assigned to my case spoke Spanish, but that I spoke in complete sentences and she spoke in "Whatever"s and "You know"s and "The other thing"s.

"You know, you need to fill out that other thing."

"What other thing?"

"The thing. The what you call it. You know?"

"No, I don't know! What other thing?!"

"Oh, what-EVER!"

I'd try to pin her down, to put some nounflesh on the "whatevers" and "other things", and we'd both wind up getting frustrated and angry. And then she'd mutter in Spanish.

But the ultimate key to our falling out was her incompetence. She was supposed to send me insurance company documents, reports, etc to my new address in Brooklyn: XXX Prospect Park Southwest, Brooklyn, NY, care of Jane Austen (not her real name). She habitually sent stuff to XXX Prospect Park WEST, care of Shane Boston, or Jane Auslin. When I told her that she sent stuff to the wrong address, she reflexively responded that she sent stuff to the address I gave her, whatever. She also suggested that I go to XXX Prospect Park West, and knock on the door, and ask if there were any packages for me. This was rendered impossible by the fact that there is no XXX Prospect Park West.

The problem is, one of the mislaid packages was the itemized settlement -- a breakdown of what has to be replaced in my house and the amount each would cost. I know the total amount, but not the itemized details. The adjuster said I had to sign the document and sent it back to her. I said she had to send me the document. she said she did. I said she sent it to the wrong address. She said she sent it to the address I gave her, whatever.. The cycle of violence continued.

I asked to have her replaced, the company refused. I asked her to resend the document, she refused. Then they said they were no longer handling my claim. I tried to get the insurance company's adjuster involved, but he's been incommunicado all summer. I finally called my insurance broker, and she's been doing what she can -- mainly calling the insurance company's adjuster and leaving messages.